07 October 2012

Quarter-Life Crisis

Imagine, two doors in front of you. Supposing you could go through only one, and you didn't have time to decide.  How would you feel? How would you decide?



We all have to make life changing decisions at some point in our lives, be it in our education, career, vocation (state of life) or which shampoo to use (yes, healthy hair is important). When we face such major decision, we often go through this feeling of Crisis. Aptly, the word crisis stems from the Greek word krinien which means to "judge, separate or decide". Then the question begs, what are we judging, separating or deciding?

We judge for ourselves, what is good or apparent good.
We separate the good from the apparent good and weigh our options.
Then we decide on which is the good.

Dealing with Crisis can be rather unsettling and we often fear making the "wrong decision". When you're faced with a decision between two goods (both are good things, or supposedly good), how do you then decide? Would you just weigh out the pros and cons, using intellect? or draw upon your emotional instincts?

I like to assume that all roads lead to Rome, but if given the choice, I'd like to take the less bumpy road (avoiding thieves and hooligans along the way). But which path to take if you don't know where you're going? What of the cup of suffering from which we must all partake?

All these questions loom in our sub conscious, and we can choose to conscientiously ponder upon them or take life simplistically (innie-minnie-minie-moe).

I'm at the crossroads of my life.

I just graduated from University.
I don't know what I want (not really).
I don't know anything (maybe I do know something)
I know I want to work, but what for?
Do I work for the money, or the experience, or passion, or both, or ????
What is it I really want? I need to re-examine.
What should I do?
Where should I go?

These questions remain unanswered (at the moment)
I have no certainty, and that makes life interesting, exciting and scary all at the same time.

I need to hope.
I need to love.
I need to have faith.

I am in Crisis.
God help us all.

1 comment:

Moira Lim said...

Have faith Jeremy. pray and God will lead